Written by Hamza Malik and

For more details please contact us

The Home Office has updated its guidance for UK citizens travelling to Europe after 29 March 2019 if there is no EU Exit deal.

For most UK Citizens, the idea of passport control, at least for Europe is unknown. This has meant that most UK Citizens have been able to pass through European ports without much formality. However, if there is no deal by 29 March 2019, the relationship with Europe which allows this unhindered access changes.

The European Commission, the institution responsible for managing day to day decision, has proposed that if there is no deal, British Citizens should not be required to have a Schengen visa or anywhere in the EU for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. If staying for longer than 90 days, it is likely that that you will require a visa. This visa free arrangement will not cover work and if the intention is to work, then British Citizens are likely to require a visa prior to their arrival.

British Citizens would also be subject to immigration control which would mean that they would be asked questions upon arrival. These include questions on whether they have sufficient funds for the duration of their stay.  They may also be asked about proof of their return journey.

The government has said that they will continue to update their guidance on post-Brexit (no deal) travel for British Citizens. However, British citizens can take the following steps now:

  1. Check your passport – Your passport must have at-least 6 months of validity left from the date of your arrival. This does not include any extra months added on renewal on top of the standard 10-year validity.
  2. Check your travel insurance – Your EHIC will no longer be valid after 29 March if there is no deal. Therefore, you will be reliant on your travel insurance for medical related issues. You should consider speaking to your insurer to ensure that it covers any Brexit-related disruption.
  3. Check whether your mobile phone network continues to provide free roaming – as free roaming is a part of an EU-related legislation, this may be affected depending on what course your mobile phone operator takes.
  4. Check your driving licence – You may need an International Driving permit as the laws allowing the use of UK driving licence are linked to EU law, which will lapse on 29 March 2019 if there is no deal.

25th February 2019